What is the best method for new business success?
This loaded question is one I get all the time.
The fact is there’s no magic bullet with new business. It takes patience, perseverance, and truly wanting to make a real difference for a particular brand. And after 15 years of managing numerous agency reviews, I’d say it comes down to two words: timing and relationships.
I recall speaking to the CMO of a small financial company. I asked her how agencies that are prospecting for her business get her attention? The answer was simple. “If they reach out at the right time with relevant information to help solve my issue at hand, I will be interested in learning more about what they are offering.”
That means you need to stay motivated to keep reaching out, to better understand your prospects, and to make your agency ready for its next relationship.
Whether you’re a seasoned new business executive or you’re green to the scene, there’s always time for a quick tip to help tip the pitch in the winning direction. These bite-sized insights can help you improve and win more new clients. Tweet to share the wisdom.
21 Tweetable Tips to Jumpstart Your New Biz Efforts
1) Consumers have a PhD in advertising today. Be sure to help marketers share their brand’s authentic purpose.
2) Culture isn’t a bunch of values hanging on a wall. Its beliefs brought to life daily through current and new relationships.
3) At the end of a pitch process, it comes down to two vital factors: talent and chemistry.
4) Marketers’ top reason to disqualify an agency in consideration? They think they can address our needs with little client input.
5) Prospecting? Don’t show how your agency can solve every problem because it can’t! Show how you’re solution-oriented with relevant examples.
6) How to get your agency to stand out from the crowd? Launch a comprehensive PR campaign and don’t be afraid to self-promote.
7) Offer a free two-week ramp up period as part of your proposal and show you have skin in the game.
8) Agencies must shift the perspective from being an expenditure to an investment.
9) Major reason for agency review? Agency became complacent with the brand business.
10) Lost the pitch? Continuing sharing thought leadership content and show authentic interest for the next opportunity!
11) Be sure to address the junior clients in the room. They “grow up” fast & often have more say in the decision than you think!
12) Great clients make mediocre agencies strong. Weak clients make great agencies ineffective. Help mktrs be involved with the agency.
13) The only thing we sell is relationships.
14) Passion is powerful. Everything else is the price of entry.
15) How to lose a pitch? Harp on proprietary tools and process!
16) Every agency has only one proprietary tool — your people!
17) What do clients primarily want? Great creative and to be pushed to the next level.
18) Brands should no longer be nouns. Help marketers to turn their brand into a verb.
19) You can’t manage what you can’t measure! Be sure to offer insights on analytics.
20) New biz is everyone’s business, but be sure to have a dedicated person committed to it or it quickly becomes no one’s business.
21) Treat your current clients like prospects and your prospects like current clients.
Excerpted from New Biz in 140 Characters (or Less) by Lisa Colantuono, which provides new business people of every level with an abundance of actionable new biz tips to improve their results.